Thursday, November 5, 2009

Broken Age Barrier

Initial meeting with The Talker and I broke the age barrier! Maybe it was a barrier that I created on my own and maybe I was the only one blocked by this "he must be hot" barrier, but still, this date proves that it's broken.

eHarmony first meeting with a man 7 years older than I (not the long winded emailer previously mentioned). In my past older was unheard of. I mean, I live young, I think young, I look young (well, I used to...I look younger than I am...I hope!) Based on the profile and pictures of this older gentleman I wasn't sure that he would have been a match; I thought maybe too dorky for me. It seems that my confidant and closest girlfriend is owed gratitude for the connection. She said "I wish for you a fun night! I don't care about expectations or any of that, I just hope you go out and have a fun night!" That hope for me changed my outlook on the night and it turned out to be a good one. We met at a nice bar and each paid for our own drinks and talked and talked for two hours plus. We laughed, we had common interests, and we shared insight and information. Even with receding grey hair I could see myself kissing him. This may not sound like such a break through to you, but to me it is leaps and bounds. Some day I'll tell you about the greatest age difference in a relationship that I've experienced. I wasn't the young one.

Anyway, for now we'll call him The Talker, because he did have a lot to say. But he listened too and for now what he has to say is interesting. Normally I find it incredibly annoying when people talk too much, but The Talker stays on track, he lets you add comments and questions, he is not is his own world, he is aware. I can sense honesty about him which you have to respect.

The end of the "date" was a little awkward. He walked me to my car and getting ready for the goodbye suddenly got tense. Where he was totally secure talking on a bar stool, he seemed unsure maybe even insecure standing next to me near my car. A little more small talk, then a sudden, hard kiss on the cheek and a hug, a goodbye and he walked off. The kiss on the cheek came from no where; the timing was off so although I hugged him back I didn't reciprocate the kiss. Oh well, on to the next date and let’s make this one an official date.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. What a great way to chronicle the experiences of the present and the possibilities of the future. Nothing wrong with older men - I robbed Carrie's cradle when she was 23 and I was (gasp) 30.

    I don't miss that first goodnight kiss, but I like reading about it - butterflies and uncertainty. I'll keep reading.
    Isaac

    PS Is there a way to know when you post again, or do I have to just check? I'll just check whenever I write.

    ReplyDelete