Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chubby is the New Thin

I’ve heard it said that men don’t really care about a little extra weight on a woman. Looking back, most of the men I’ve attracted and started a relationship with came at a time when I felt on the chubby side. For me, calling myself chubby is at least 10 lbs over my favorite weight. I’ve gone up and down 20 lbs so many times in my life it’s like f-in deja vus.

My weight history is opposite of most. I get chubbier when I’m single and thin out when I fall for someone rather than most people who thin out when they’re lonely and looking. Also, how I feel in my body directly correlates with how much I date. So if I’m feeling “fat” then I’m not feeling confident and therefore not putting my best self out there and not dating as much. (See post titled Qualities That Attract below.) I think I’ve felt fat for most of my life. What is wrong with our society?

I’ve noticed that my taste in attractive women is women with some extra weight on their bones. I think too skinny is unhealthy looking on a woman. Moreover, they have more wrinkles. Am I the only one that thinks chubby can be more attractive? Is chubby the new thin?

I’ve heard older women talk about life getting better with age. Oprah leads the argument on her 50s being her best decade. This year I turned 38. I almost don’t want to mention it for fear of losing it (knock on wood here), but I actually see myself differently. I actually like the look of the extra 10 pounds, even naked.

I want to hear from the men out there. If you’re not a man, ask a man in your life, one that will give an honest answer. Does it really matter? Does an extra 10-20 pounds really turn someone off?

Are you willing to start the “chubby is the new thin” movement with me?

3 comments:

  1. I love chubby is the new thin! And almost every man will tell you he likes a curvier woman than one that looks too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little chubby definitely does not turn off my man, he likes it. I think chubby is the new thin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for the Chubby is the New Thin Movement! I got this response from an old friend (a man) on facebook: "Yes, a woman should have some shape and sustenance; if she's too skinny she won't even keep her fellow warm"

    ReplyDelete