Thursday, October 1, 2009

Singles Events--a night at the ball park

Have you ever attended a singles event? The idea is great. Throw a party for singles to meet and mingle with a common goal. The best singles event I've been to--and one of only a few--was a house party, hosted by a close friend where all the invitees were single. It was during the holiday season and ended up successful for many of the guests, at least for the night. ;)

I think at the right venue a "singles night" is a great idea. --If you request suggestions or tips please comment your question on this post.--

I'm not a HUGE sports fan, but when I heard that the ball park was hosting a singles night on one of the last games of the season I thought it sounded fun. Two single girl friends and one single guy friend thought it sounded fun too.

When we got there it was a little embarrassing, almost humiliating. One area roped off with a huge sign "SINGLES NIGHT." In other words: here are all the lost souls with no luck finding love or with issues bigger than themselves.We found an excuse to walk by once or twice and then finally entered. Good thing they offered a free drink with admission because that's why we braved the roped off area.

One word: awkward. Everyone looking around at everyone else, no one quite wants to make eye contact. People talking to their friends, people alone, wandering around and around. Painful is another word. I tried to say something to the guys behind us in line to get our free drink. One looked at me as if I was speaking Martian and then continued on with their conversation.

The good thing about it was the variety of people. All different styles of dress, different races represented, and ages ranging from ~21 up to 50+. With luck anyone hypothetically could meet someone there.

My friends and I continued to chat while consciously trying to stay open to conversation with others. --At an event like this or anytime you are out specifically to meet someone you really have to make an effort to be open. More than one person is much less approachable.--

One brave woman had made a big sign to hold during the game. You know the signs people make, trying to get on tv? Along with it she brought extra poster paper and a big, fat sharpie for others to make a sign too. Props to her for her creativity. Turned out to be a good conversation starter. Suddenly I had the best idea I'd had in months. I made a sign with my "single stats." You know how on a dating website you post who you are and what you're looking for? I put it down on my poster: "5'10", Straight, Red Hair, Brown Eyes" Then I put my seat number: "Bleachers 140 row 18 seat 14."

I thoroughly entertained myself and the best part was that two men approached me before I even finished writing the sign. My two girlfriends then made signs saying "I'm with her" with an arrow pointing to me. We had fun, laughing, getting our picture taken and mingling with other people along the way.

You gotta take a risk sometimes. Bet big to win big. No fool, no fun.

In the end I met a nice guy that I was even attracted to. We had good conversation and he came to find me in my seat. We've talked on the phone and texted since then, making plans to hang out again. I'd call that a successful event.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Way to put yourself out there! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...who won the game?

    Signed,
    Giants Fan

    PS I love the stats sign. Including a batting average would have been hilarious. Great writing, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Giants lost that night. But, I have to admit that I only watched a very small portion of the game--and not even all at one time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete